Phyllis Reardon M.Ed.
We are facing a health crisis in Canada and it is in our control to change this.
Why aren’t we doing it?
I never fail to be amazed by the neglect we are seeing towards young children. Now I know parents may be upset by this as they think they are giving their children everything they need….everything they didn’t have.
Have you been to a mall or school lately?
The numbers of over weight children, moving along like some elderly person, is overwhelming.
How healthy will they be when they are 30…40?
The following are stats supplied by Participaction Canada:
1. Only 12% of Canadian children and youth are meeting Canada’s physical activity guidelines of 90 minutes per day.
2. Today’s Canadian children and youth are heavier, fatter, rounder and weaker than they were a generation ago.
3. Childhood obesity in Canada has tripled over the past three decades.
3. According to the Canadian Health Measures Survey, 17% of Canadian children and youth are overweight and an additional 9% are obese.
4. The New England Journal of Medicine reports that, for the first time in history, our children’s lifespan could be 2-5 years less than our own.
5. Canadian kids are spending six hours a day in front of television, video game and computer screens – over the course of a week, that is as much time as their parents spend at work.
6. Sport participation rates in Canadian youth aged 15-18 declined from 77% in 1992 to 59% in 2005.
In the interest of our next generation let’s start making a change.
Get moving and Give up that processed food.
Make you fitness Plan!!!!