|Phyllis Reardon M.Ed.
This is a reprint of an earlier article I published. As you approach this new shool year do so as positively as you can.
Being a parent isn’t easy. We all want the best for our children but life can get busy and sometimes just pass us by. In my coaching practice I work with parents to help them enjoy their children and life to the fullest. I would like to offer you a sample of the life coaching activities I use with my clients.
Life Coaching Activities for Helping Your Child
- Take time to talk to your child and really, really listen to what they have to say. Ask about their activities, their friends and school. Actively listen by looking directly at them. Remember their answers.
- Highlight all of their activities no matter how small you might think them to be. Success builds more success but we need to be validated in that success.
- If you have more than one child create a special time for each of them. This makes them feel as important as you believe they are. It is amazing what you hear and learn with one on one!
- Get them involved in a variety of activities, sports, music, community groups. There are programs for most budgets. This will help them discover their strengths and passions helping with career decisions later in life.
- Respect their opinion. Ask them what they think about family plans and projects. They are wiser than you think!
- Create an environment of good health and fitness. Teach by example. A healthy body produces a healthy mind, necessary for success in our world. Get moving together!
- Read, read, read. Surround your child with books. Introduce them to the local library at an early age. Knowledge is power!
- At an early age have them make choices. What clothes to wear, what game to play, which book to read. Simple decision making practiced early in life makes it easier when more difficult life decisions present themselves.
- Talk to them about your work. If you work outside the house and you have an opportunity maybe they could visit your place of work. They are always interested to learn what you do.
- Show them love. Show them respect. Treat them gently. Your behavior becomes their behavior. Most of all enjoy them!
If you would like more information on Parent Life Coaching or you would like a free consultation please contact me, Phyllis@coachphyllis.com